BY: RACHEL WUMKES
As if on cue each year, when the days begin to lengthen and the warmth of the sun kisses the Earth once again, something is energized within us. Suddenly, we have the urge to move our furniture and clean the floors beneath them. Drapes and rugs are thrown into the washing machine, removing the collection of dust and germs from the winter.
We replace the old with new, like some biological urge is pushing us to deep clean our homes and yards. Even our lives!
It’s fitting then, that Earth Day lands in the month of April. In case you haven’t heard, Earth Day is like the ultimate spring cleaning. I liken it to spring cleaning on steroids. Because instead of tackling your home and yard, you’re tackling the entire Earth.
Sort of. Mostly, we just stick to the Clear Lake area.
The Clear Lake Earth Day committee is dedicated to creating awareness for this ecological cleanup each Spring. For the entire month of April, they have been keeping social media followers up to date via their Facebook Page, Clear Lake Earth Day. Be sure to give them a LIKE to follow along and learn interesting tidbits and tips.
To ensure you don’t miss out on any of the exciting activities, here’s a rundown of all things Earth Day.
- At the Clear Lake Arts Center:
- Earth Day Poster Show – this is for kiddos ages 6-12 to create a masterpiece for the non-competitive show focused on environmental awareness. Entries are due April 15th.
- Earth Day Photo Contest – for ages 13 and up. Submit up to 5 photos in the categories of A Day at the Lake, Flora & Fauna, or Community Engagement. Entries are due April 15th.
- Earth Day 5K / 10K: Lace up your running (or walking) shoes and hit the pavement on Saturday, April 17th at 9AM. If you haven’t yet registered, you still can the morning before the race down by the seawall. All proceeds will benefit the CLHS Track and Cross-Country teams.
- Fun at the Clear Lake Library: “Think Spring” grab and go bags for kiddos. Each is packed with Earth Day activities and crafts. For the Adults, discuss “Gathering Moss” by Robin Wall Kimmerer via Zoom on April 20th at Noon, or April 21th at 6PM.
- TRASH BASH: Happening 4/19 – 4/26. Gather a few friends, neighbors, or coworkers and sign up to clean an area of our beautiful town. The harsh Iowa winters often leave a mess of litter and garbage from the bitter winds. It’s time to clean it up! Register to reserve your spot at http://earthdayclearlake.org/events/trash-bash
- Trumpeter Swans Virtual Program: April 22nd at Noon. RSVP to FeliciaAndrews@cltel.com to attend the live program. A recording will be made available at the later date.
- Outdoor Fest: Young or old, this is a fun day everyone can appreciate on April 24th in City Park from 10AM to 1PM. Enjoy an inflatable slide, family games, children’s obstacle course, outdoor toys community share @ the Yacht Club, or gran an Earth Day take and make packet for home! There will be a National Eagle Center Program featuring a Live Bald Eagle at the bandshell starting at 11AM.
Unlike spring cleaning in your home, to beautify our incredible town takes a group effort. It’s not just the work of one, but the work of many, pulling together for the betterment of our entire community.
Even though we seem to be trapped in a bit of a chilly spell here in North Iowa, Spring is here to stay. It’s time to wake our bodies from the winter slumber, bust free from the confines of our cozy blankets on the couch and get moving.
Let’s get Mother Earth into tip-top shape so she’s ready for another great summer at the Lake!