BY: RACHEL WUMKES
This time of each year is such an odd feeling. Summer sports are over, the thrill of “school’s out for summer” has faded a bit into the background of life. Children hang in that precarious area where they might be slightly excited for the upcoming school year… though they’d never admit it. And the daily while of “I’m bored” has reached it’s limit.
I suppose it’s a good thing we live in Paradise!
Next week, as sports and school activities comes to a halt, it’s the perfect time to take advantage of some quality beach time! Here’s a rundown of tips and tricks to ensure you have the ultimate Beach Day in Clear Lake!
- Timing is Everything.
- To get the most out of your beach day experience, you’ll want to get there early. Especially on the weekends, I suggest mid-morning to secure the top spot on the beach for the day.
- Snacks, Snacks, and more Snacks!
- Quench Your Thirst
- You’re in luck, as Clear Lake is home to Iowa’s fastest growing craft beer brewery. Grab a six-pack to go at the Taphouse, or one of the many grocery retailers in town!
- Here Fishy-Fishy
- We are known as being one of the best fishing destinations in the Midwest. Clear Lake Bait & Tackle has fishing poles, accessories and all the bait you’ll need. As an added bonus, their staff is beyond knowledgeable about where the best bite is at on the lake.
- The Proper Attire
- Everything “Beachy”
- No visit to the beach is complete without the proper gear, and Larson’s Mercantile can hook you up. Floaties, sunscreen, sand toys, beach towels, water guns – they carry all the things for the ultimate beach day in Clear Lake.
- Where to Go
- There are 2 premier beaches to choose from. State Beach is a shallow area along South Shore close to campgrounds. It’s ideal for lounging on a floatie or playing in the water. City Beach is located downtown. With the Splash Pad and City Park in walking distance, it creates the Trifecta of beach day awesomeness.
- Know the Rules
- While many COVID restrictions have been lifted, please be mindful of social distancing when choosing your beach location for the day. No one is a fan of having people right on top of them and in their space! Also – make a mental note of garbage locations upon arrival. We need to all do our part to keep our beaches clean!
- The Need for Speed
- There is nothing quite like the feeling of whipping across the water on a wave runner! Stop into Clear Lake Boats and check out their various rentals to satisfy your need for speed on the water. Or, give Jake a call at Freedom Boat Club and let them take the hassle out of your boating adventure on the Lake.
- Life in the Slow Lane
- If you prefer a lazier, more relaxing day on the Lake, check out Movement Solutions! They have boats, kayaks, stand up paddle boards, float pads and more to ensure you have the most fun on the water. Or, if you prefer solid ground, they have campers for rent, bikes and other various outdoor equipment!
Don’t let the sweet days of summertime pass you by in a blue, be sure to take time and enjoy everything the beautiful beaches of Clear Lake have to offer!