Gift Ideas to Score you Big Points with Pops!
BY: RACHEL WUMKES
Celebrated since the early 1900s, Father’s Day is a time to slap the old man on the back and say ‘thanks’ for being awesome. Over the years, however, the day has morphed into celebrating not just fathers, but all paternal bonds.
Grandpa’s. Uncles. Brothers.
In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson issued a proclamation that the 3rd Sunday in June would hence forth be Father’s Day. President Nixon officially signed it into law as a permanent holiday in 1972.
The day itself elicits a slew of stereotypical “dad” things… grilling, golfing, eating steak. You know, things like that. While Mother’s Day usually consists of giving Mom the day off to rest and relax, Father’s Day is mostly about finding that perfect gift.
But really, how does one say ‘thanks’ for being the master spider-killer? Or the teller of all the corny jokes? He’s the one who makes sure your car is always running properly. The one who spots you $20 for gas when you’re low on cash. The one who is most likely to say “yes” when Mom already told you “no.”
It’s hard to put into words our expression of love for the big lug.
Mom might adore all the mushy sentiments of love on her special day. But dads? Might not be his cup of tea.
Here are a few ideas from Chamber Members that might help in your quest for creating the perfect day for the fathers in your life!
- Check out the classic cars at Pritchard’s Car Show and Cruise from 8am-5pm on Saturday! Awards are at 2PM with the cruise to follow!
- Relax and enjoy the Municipal Band in beautiful City Park. Shows are Saturday at 7pm and Sunday at 3pm.
- Experience gifts are always a hit. Give Dad a day on the lake with rentals from Movement Solutions. Or, if he’s more of a land lover, hit up Lake Life Rentals and enjoy a luxury golf cart of a jeep rental for the day!
- Take Dad for a picturesque Sunday brunch at PM Park. With stunning views of Clear Lake, it’s the perfect setting for his special day.
- Get Dad a meat bundle from Fareway or check out the epic assortment of grilling goodness at Louie’s Custom Meats and More. Don’t forget to check out the amazing selection downtown at Randy’s Neighborhood Market! Meat, meat and more meat!
- Nothing says love like buying Dad a pint at Lake Time Brewery! Or stop in to 173 Craft Distillery for one of their specialty concoctions on the rooftop patio.
- It might be the most cliché of all Father’s Day gifts, but Dad would love a new tie from Moorman’s Clothiers!
- Head out to North Iowa Golf and grab Dad a new box of golf balls. Don’t forget to call for a tee time and let him test them out at Veteran’s Memorial Golf Club
- Get an upgrade for the ultimate grill master at Brother’s Ace Hardware, or Lake Fireplace & Spa. Don’t forget Woodford Lumber has grilling items as well. Buy all the things to make all the meats. Yum!
As always, be sure to check out our full business directory at www.clearlakeiowa.com for more ideas on how to create the best day for the dads in your life!