New Year – New You
BY: RACHEL WUMKES
With the beginning of a new year comes the ever-popular chance to start fresh. Something about turning the calendar page over and having 365 new days at your fingertips for improvement is inspiring. It’s a clean slate; a chance a redemption.
Personally, I’m a train wreck when it comes to keeping New Year’s Resolutions of my own. I’ve found they stick for a few weeks and then life gets in the way, crashing my hopes and dreams for positive change into a fiery disaster of failure and disappointment.
But kudos to those who stand their ground and follow through. You are a special breed of people.
Maybe my resolution should focus on being more like you all?
According to online learning platform goskills.com, these are the top 10 most common New Year’s Resolutions.
- Exercise more.
- Lose weight.
- Get organized.
- Learn a new skill or hobby.
- Live life to the fullest.
- Save more money / spend less money.
- Quit smoking.
- Spend more time with family and friends.
The two items at the top of that list seemingly go hand in hand. Especially after most people just spent a 10-day hiatus eating everything in sight with zero physical activity.
Oh wait, was that just me?
Even my “fat pants” are a tad on the snug side after all the goodies, candy, cookies, dips and downright junk-filled eating which occurred over the past two weeks. I shouldn’t be surprised, yet here I am.
Thankfully, there are a bunch of options to get your fitness on in Clear Lake. And I know the gym can be a scary place if you’ve never been there before. You might be unsure of where to start, or what to do, or maybe even what to wear! But I assure you, the staff at these places have got you. They are there to guide your process and help you every step of the way.
No judging. Only positivity for healthy progress toward your goal.
- Cutting Edge Fitness
- Where else can you workout with an AMAZING view of Clear Lake? Talk about taking self-care to a whole new level. They are a full-service gym with access to personal trainers, fitness challenges, and 24/7 access to the facility.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cuttingedefitnesscl/
- Website: https://cuttingedge-fit.com/
- Lake Fit
- Located at 800 N. 8th Street, this locally owned center has everything you need to reach your fitness goals. Lake Fit focuses on total body fitness to best achieve the ultimate level of health and wellness. With proper support and dedicated staff members, you’ll definitely keep that New Year’s resolution going strong all year long!
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lakefitnorthiowa/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NIP and Fitness Center
- At NIP, you can tone and shape your body while also striving to live pain free mentally and physically. With 3 great locations (2 in Mason, 1 in Clear Lake) they have health and strength solutions for you and every member of your family. Plus – a smoothie bar and healthy food options right there on site!
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/N.I.P.andFitness
- Website: https://www.nipfitness.com/
- Clear Lake Althetics & Wellness Center
- A brand new, state-of-the-art facility connected to the Clear Lake High School. This full-service center is set to open in early 2022 and features a 47,000 square foot fieldhouse, including a 200-meter indoor walking track, cardio and weightlifting equipment. Keep your eyes peeled for upcoming youth and adult programming in the new year!
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/clearlakewellness/
- Website: https://www.cityofclearlake.com/pview.aspx?id=20701&catid=29
- It’s not just a catchy tune sung at countless weddings, it’s an actual place where you can meet all those fitness goals for the new year! Their Facebook description says it best, “To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all. The Mason City Family YMCA has been a staple to Mason City and North Iowa since 1892.”
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/masoncityfamilyymca/
- Website: https://www.masoncityymca.org/youth-programs/sugar-plum-preschool.html
- Boyer Pool & Wellness Center
- A hidden gem in the Clear Lake Community, you can get a day pass or membership to use their Olympic sized pool and wellness center. Their gym facility can be used for basketball, or for the rising sport of pickleball! Contact them today (phone number listed below) for rates to kick your new year off strong.
- Website: https://www.onevision.org/our-community/boyer-pool/boyer-pool.html
- Phone: 641-355-1240
There you have it, folks. Six reasons why that New Year’s Resolutions should hold firm all year long. You’re only given this one life. Why not live it to the fullest and make it last as long as possible by being healthy and fit?
Gym time is your time – so make the best of your efforts and turn that resolution into a reality!