Hot off of a busy July, Clear Lake still doesn't show any signs of slowing down. If you can't find something to do around here in August, you're not trying hard enough. Click the links for details, or visit our events calendar.
1) CLASS Car Club Summer Dance Cruise. This is the 30th Annual car show and cruise around the lake, which draws hundreds of auto enthusiasts and clubs from around the midwest! August 1 & 2. BONUS: The CL Evening Lions Sweet Corn & Hamburger Feed is Sunday, grab a burger before you head home!
2) Thursdays on Main continues it's run August 7, 14, & 21st. Music, shopping, laser tag, kiddie train ride, trolley rides, and bounce house activities lead up to the outdoor movie in City Park. For the entertainment lineup and event updates, like the event on Facebook!
3) Arrr! All hope abandon, ye who attend the Iowa/Minnesota Pirate Festival at PM Park on the shores of Clear Lake! Similar to a Renaissance festival, the Pirate Festival focuses on a broader time-range with emphasis on the Hollywood "fun" version of pirate lore. Appearances by Blue Rose Mermaid, Fandazzi Fire Circus, Flying Eagles Acrobalance, Forking Queen of the Pirates, and so many more to relay here, so head on over to their website for all of the details! August 8-10th. BONUS: The Lady of the Lake's annual Pirate Party Cruise is Saturday, August 9th. They also have a special Pirate Party for kids in the afternoon.
4) Clear Lake and Fireworks go hand in hand. That is why we're excited about the Pyrotechnics Guild International's Iowa Thunderstorm 2014 convention! Members attend seminars & trade shows, and the general public gets to enjoy public fireworks displays during the week of Sunday August 10th! For more info and to buy tickets for the public shows, visit their convention website.
5) The Clear Lake Jaycees are at it again with their popular Bike/Boat/Bus Poker Run scheduled for Saturday August 9th! This event also includes a fun scavenger hunt for the kids.
6) Taste of Clear Lake Dinner Cruise, Italian Style! You feel like you just got a big hug from mama in the kitchen after sinking your teeth into the Italian feast the CL First Mates have planned for you! Desserts and wine tasting (and cash bar) are on board the Lady of the Lake. All passengers also get a swag bag full of goodies, and there will be prize drawings during the 90 minute cruise. Wednesday, August 13th.
7) Ale to the Arts on the lawn at the CL Arts Center. Sip local ale from Lake Time Brewery (plus cash bar, wine & beer), pig out on a BBQ dinner, and chill out to the acoustic tunes of Spenser Rahm. Friday, August 15th. DON'T MISS the CLAC's Arty Parties this month! Cocktails & Canvas August 8, 22, & 23 and Coffee, Canvas, & Mimosas August 8.
8) BeachFest! Celebrate with good ol' fashioned family beach activities, sand castles, treasure hunt, bean bags (corn hole, or whatever the kids are calling it these days), live music, and the final Movie in the Park for the season. The CLPD Benevolence Foundation will be grilling your favorites, so pack a cooler and come on down Saturday, August 30th. BONUS: Get up early and participate in the Seawall to Seawall Run! Choose from 5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathon.
9) Antiques in the Square. This huge outdoor antique show is held rain or shine for it's 22nd year in City Park. Sunday, August 31. BONUS: It's also city wide garage sale weekend so you're bound to take home some treasures!
BONUS REMINDER! August is your LAST CHANCE to participate in these ongoing summer events before they disappear until next June! Fresh on Friday at Central Gardens, Yoga by the Lake, Lampost Theatre, & Worship in the Park.