Healthy and green lifestyles are becoming more mainstream than they were 19 years ago when Clear Lake organized their first Earth Day celebration. Each year, our Earth Day committee encourages our community to refresh ourselves and our home by offering fun, educational, and camaraderie with several programs planned for the week surrounding Earth Day.
"Clear Lakers are fortunate to live in a caring community where people make the difference," says founder and committee chairperson Jan Lovell. "And we know how to have fun while helping out. We’re proud to be stewards of our lake – heralded recently as North Iowa’s greatest natural asset. And we treasure that Clear Lake, outdoor fun and family traditions have always gone hand in hand."
Continuing efforts to go green include a new website (www.earthdayclearlake.org) with online registration capabilities for several of the events, including the Trash Bash, 5K/10K Run, and for Green Expo Vendors.
Here are some of the *new* features at OutdoorFest on April 18, 2015:
- Water Rocks! Kids from K-12 across the state have enjoyed learning how water rocks their world in this action-packed exhibit from ISU Extension.
- Tug of War at City Beach
- Fundraising Lunch at the VFW
- Walkabout: Take a spontaneous journey to satisfy your craving for earth-friendly food and products local foods appetizers at The Supper Club, tea at the Healing House Herb Shop and BeWellness.
- Meet Celebrity TrashBasher Robin Wolfram, KTTC TV Anchor and former Miss Iowa
- Home Sweet Home: Learn about urban conservation projects for homeowners – rain gardens, native prairie and other green projects.
Click here for the full event schedule and details.
Earth Day Clear Lake Highlights:
Thursday, April 16: North Iowa Green Expo (Surf Ballroom, 4-7pm.) Businesses and organizations from around the region display their earth-friendly products & services. Refreshments provided.
Friday, April 17: Sustainable Acreage Tour (Richardson's, 9338 Eagle Avenue, 4-7pm). View the “backyard” beauty of Union Hills and learn the land’s history, wildlife and plants with its fruits, vegetables, berries, bees, chickens (and exchange gardening tips with Ron & Cindy!). Don't miss the recycled building!
Saturday, April 18: OutdoorFest (City Park)
Festival includes 5K/10K, Trash Bash community clean up, Fun run for kids, exhibits, demonstrations, crafts, a bounce house, and more.