BY: RACHEL WUMKES
Statistically, women are the ones who are more apt to show their love and affection throughout the year. To their significant other, to their children, to their friends and sometimes even strangers. It's just in the genetic make-up of a woman’s DNA. It’s easier to be “lovey-dovey” in relationships than it is for men.
I think that’s why Valentine’s Day has shifted to be all about the woman. Plus, it’s the one time a year a man can redeem themselves. To show her how much she is loved and appreciated. Within the various stages of life, Valentine’s Day expectations range anywhere from “send her flowers” to “buy her jewelry.”
The logical, frugal part of me struggles immensely with this holiday. While the roots date back to St. Valentine and the catholic church, the Americanized version of it is a whole new ballgame.
So, this year, I’m changing things up a bit! When researching Valentine’s Day, I came across countless articles, blogs, and message boards about how to pamper your woman… but where is the love for the guys?
Seems a bit unfair to leave them out, right?
Well, you are in luck, because it turns out that the Clear Lake Area Chamber of Commerce has A BUNCH of members to help a girl out when searching for that perfect gift for the day of love.
Here’s my TOP TEN ideas on where to shop and what to buy your guy this Valentine’s Day:
- For the outdoorsy fisherman, hit up Clear Lake Bait & Tackle. You can buy gear to help your guy snag the big one or book a guided fishing tour of Clear Lake with Kevan Paul. Either way, the angler in your life will be pleased!
- There’s a special kind of love between a man and his chair. Yes, you read that right. So, stop in to Wilcox Furniture and find your guy that perfect place to park it in front of the television!
- When it’s time to get all dapper and dashing for a night on the town, K&B Emporium has a wide variety of men’s clothing and accessories to keep him looking sharp!
- LakeTime Brewery has so many options when it comes to canned craft beer, you’ll have to just pick up a 6-pack of every flavor!
- Even if your guy doesn’t know how to fix things around the house, he still needs tools, right? I think it’s some kind of “man law” actually to have at least one of every fix-it utensil stashed somewhere in the garage. Thankfully, Kramer Ace Hardware can hook you up if you’re missing something!
- Cheering on the Lions (especially now that games are open to the public) needs the perfect Lions gear. Brin & Lew on Main Ave has everything you need to channel your inner super-fan.
- This idea is totally for the birds… literally! I guarantee you can find something cool for even the most amateur bird watcher at the Basic Birder in downtown Clear Lake.
- Man love meat. Man cook meat. Man eat meat. Satisfy their inner caveman with a meat bundle from Fareway, Randy’s Neighborhood Market or Louie’s Custom Meats.
- And he’ll need a way to cook up all that meat, so I suggest you stop into Lake Fireplace and Spa. They have every item imaginable to suffice one’s grilling expectations.
- The ultimate “guy’s day out” sports package includes gift cards to The Other Place, the VFW and Rookies. Along with this, is the promise that you will not be mad if they spend an entire day with their buddies at the bar catching all the games on TV.
There you have it, ladies! I’m sure there are plenty of other gift options that didn’t make my list, and we’d love to hear your input of amazing ideas you have for that special guy in your life!
Happy Valentine’s Day!