BY: RACHEL WUMKES
The other day I took out a fresh notebook, turned to the first open page and wrote the word ‘SUMMER’ across the top. I thought maybe, just maybe, if I made something of a bucket list of endeavors, it would help us have a sense of direction, a plan of activities for the next few months.
I thought it would be hard given the current restrictions and social distancing guidelines.
Thankfully, my page filled up quickly. Yes, it’s a huge bummer there will be no pool this summer. My kiddos and I typically spent ever afternoon lounging by the concrete oasis. It was the perfect combination of peaceful bliss in the sunshine for me, while they splashed and frolicked with their friends for hours. But you know, things happen out of our control so you learn to roll with the punches!
I decided to share my list with you today. Maybe it will spark something inside you, helping you over the hump, pushing you to find the positive in a less than ideal situation. I saw a comment on social media yesterday that said, “We might as well just cancel life.”
Really? Little dramatic, don’t you think?
Life is not cancelled! Summer is not cancelled. It’s going to be what you make of it. And I know for my kiddos, I’m going to make sure it’s awesome.
- You can Buy me a Boat – or just rent one!
- Clear Lake Boats can hook you up with a day on the lake you will never forget! Who knows… maybe you’ll love it so much, you’ll make an investment on your summer fun for years to come?
- Movement Solutions is one of the biggest assets to our area. Don’t have water toys? No problem! They can hook you up! They’ve got boats, campers, Lily Pad mats, Surly Bikes, Paddle Boards, and SO much more. Find them on Facebook, or stop in and check them out.
- The Beach, baby!
- We are SO lucky to have some incredible beaches to soak up the sun, play in the sand, and splash in the water. Last week, I took my brood to Larson’s Mercantile and everyone got a new pair of swim shoes and a floatie. They have an awesome assortment of options from a small donut to a giant unicorn!
- Stop and smell the Flowers
- Central Gardens, located right along 8th Street near downtown Clear Lake, is a great way to take in the natural beauty and colorful array of flowers and plants. While many of their organized events are on hold through the month of June, you can still enjoy the magnificence of their flowers, plants and trees.
- Here Fishy, Fishy!
- Time to drown some worms! Trust me when I say the thrill your kids will experience with a bite on the end of their line will be totally worth it. Stop in to Clear Lake Bait & Tackle and have the crew hook you up with everything you need for a fish-tastic experience!
- Eat! Drink! And be Merry!
- We have some of the most incredible places for foodies to indulge. Fresh made donuts, piping hot coffee, giant sandwiches, ooey-gooey cheesy pizza, rooftop patio dining or dinner with an aeronautical view – Clear Lake has something for every palette! Check out the recent dining guide here for information on who’s open and ready to serve you.
So, there you go. My list of fun for the summer. I’m certain it will be one my kids remember for a lifetime, because I’m going to make it that way.
I guess the moral of the story here, is that life is what you make it. You have the choice to spend your summer inside sulking about cancelled events or postponed activities, or you can make the conscious decision to not let it affect your summer.
Make it awesome anyway.
I know I will.