BY: RACHEL SMITH
Oh, how the memories began to flood through my mind as I started researching St. Patty’s Day activities in the area. Ya know, once upon a time, I was the girl (in my early 20s) who got up bright and early on this special day. It was the only way to get the best seat in the bar for a full day of green beer fun.
Often times, I didn’t make it much past noon, but I’ll leave that story for another blog post.
The Life and Times of a young, dumb Rachel.
Thankfully, now that I’m all grown up and a real adult… I know better.
Well, sort of.
My quest for the ultimate guide to St. Patty’s Day in Clear Lake didn’t turn out like I thought it would. I figured a few places would run a drink special or two and call it good. But you guys… live music and bands and face painting and green beer galore! My list just got longer… and longer… and longer!
Clear Lake totally ROCKS it for St. Patty’s Day! And after we’ve all had our kids home with us this week (God bless every single Clear Lake teacher, y’all need big, fat pay raises!) I think hitting up a few of these St. Patty’s celebrations is a MUST.
So where is there to go and what is there to do??? (note: this list is in no particular order)
- Bennigans!! Starting Friday from 6-9pm they’ve got Levey the Great and Face Painting! Then on Saturday, the fun continues with Face Painting all day, and Kirks Karaoke from 9pm-1am. There will be Corned beef & Cabbage & Green Beer (oh my) while supplies last! Other specials and Happy Hour prices!!
- The Jaycee’s are hosting a St. Paddy’s Pong Tournament from 2-4pm at Rookies. Stop in to check out the awesome prizes and drink specials.
- The Surf District has live music of Bill Jarnagin from 7-11pm. They’ve got $2 green beer and $6 Irish Car Bombs. The dinner special is Shephards Pie. Free Beads and a chance to win tickets to Peter Frampton are also up for grabs!
- GRIN is scheduled to play at Rumorz from 9pm to 1am. I’m guessing this will be a pretty amazing party and definitely worth stopping by!
- Lake Time Brewery has 50 Shades of Red Irish Ale (which is DELISH) and green Iowa Nice!! They’re open from 2-10pm so be sure to stop in for a pint!
- Kilroy performs at the VFW for St. Patrick’s Day. And everyone knows the V knows how to throw a party!!
- From 7-10pm, you can be Sham Rockin’ & Rollin’ with the Mockingbirds at the Clear Lake Arts Center. It’s a dual celebration for the Irish, and the fact that Rich Mock was inducted into the Iowa Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. Be sure to contact them (firstname.lastname@example.org) or find them on Facebook. Tables of 8 are for sale for $10 in advance and $12 at the door.
- NOTICE OF CANCELLATION: The Paisan & the Family Brass will no longer be playing at the Surf Ballroom on Saturday. Just a head’s up if that was part of your plans.
Now, after all that St. Patty’s Day partying, I imagine Sunday might be a bit on the rough side for some of you. I suggest venturing out to the all you can eat Irish Stew dinner at the catholic church. Plus… they have a huge assortment of homemade pie.
Nothing cures the ailments of too much green beer better than stew and pie.
For real… I would never steer you wrong.
As always, safe celebrations, friends. Don’t drink and drive or kiss any leprechauns!